First, I’d like to give a shoutout to my oldest sister Katie, who is celebrating her 35th birthday today! Happy birthday you amazing woman! Please go to happy hour … you can just leave your phone with Max and Addie and I will FaceTime babysit them.
I grew up with three sisters, all of whom I consider my very closest friends. I got so lucky with them you guys, I can’t even begin to explain it. They have taught me so much and make me laugh multiple times each day. If you have sisters, I’m sure you can relate to the following:
1. If you’re going to watch crappy TV, they will always do it with you. Grey’s Anatomy, The Bachelor/Bachelorette/Bachelor Pad/Bachelor in Paradise, Real World, Nashville … you name it, they will always be educated enough to talk with me about it. And of course, without any judgement.
2. You can always count on one of them to tell you when you look ugly. My sister tells me I dress like a forest because of the lack of color in my life. She also tells me to get my eyebrows done every time we FaceTime. And also to get new glasses. She has my back … I guess?
3. They will always, always be willing to eat crappy food with you. If I’m in a rough spot or in a sad mood, they would all blow their diets in a heartbeat for a late night run to McDonald’s.
4. When your brother gets married, you get a bonus sister. This was a fun perk that I didn’t see coming. It’s not that I thought my brother would never get married, I just never thought about the fact that there would be a poor girl who would walk into our crazy mess. Welcome Samantha, I hope you don’t regret it. LYLAS! (If you don’t get that, you clearly weren’t born in the ’80s or held subject to the crazy email chains that circulated for the entire decade of the ’90s.) Also, sometimes, when you get married you get another bonus sister. Kaylan was a wonderful and welcome addition into my sister circle, and thank goodness because she’s the only one I have in Colorado!
5. Their kids will become your favorite people in the entire world. There will definitely be a post at some point about what I know about being an aunt. But in the meantime, I’ve learned that watching your sisters become mothers is deeply gratifying. They are the most beautiful pregnant ladies in the world and their alien babies look perfect to you. I am still convinced that not a single one of my nieces or nephews went through an ugly phase. Don’t you tell me different.
6. The older you get, the more fun it becomes. Growing up was great and all, but this adult sister thing is really the best. Maybe because all of us can drive now. Oh, and there is a lot more wine. It’s like built-in friends. They are forced to love you and pay attention to your life when no one else will. Unconditional love, I tell ya.
7. Sisterhood is my favorite hood that exists on this earth. It is emotional and crazy and wonderful and connected and soul-deep. No one will ever understand me like my sisters or push me to be better like they do. No one is allowed to love me as tough as them and no one’s opinion will ever be held higher. I love you sisters and I hope to give back to you what you all have given to me.